QFHS Library and Resource Centre is located in Bellevue Avenue, Gaythorne, in the Parish of Enoggera, about 8 km from the Brisbane GPO.
Before the arrival of European settlers, Gaythorne and all the land on Brisbane's northside to the North Pine River was occupied by the Turrbal people. For more information, see Turrbal Aboriginal Nation.
The locality and the nearby railway station were initially known as Rifle Range, due to their proximity to the Enoggera rifle range. In 1923, the name was changed to Gaythorne, taken from a property in the area owned by Howard Spencer Bliss until 1913. He had named his property after the Albion home of his wife, Lucy Margaret Vidgen.
Other early settlers, Edward and Hannah Pickering, established a farm in the area and had their home near the present Gaythorne railway station. Pickering Street, named after the family, is close to the Library and Resource Centre.
Garden of Edward and Hannah Pickering at Enoggera, Qld, ca.1870Accession number: 84-10-5John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland : ca. 1870