Genealogical index to Australians and other expatriates in Papua New Guinea 1888-1975
Published May 2007$42.50 incl P&P $3.00 per item
This CD presents, as a PDF file, the index compiled by Joan Ainsworth in 1981 to a wide range of records relating to Australians, Germans, Pacific Islanders and other expatriates in Papua New Guinea. It was previously published on microfiche by the Queensland Family History Society in 1992, originally titled Some Expatriates of Papua New Guinea. This re-released on CD makes the resource much more accessible and allows searching of the text of the full publication using Acrobat Reader.
The material is presented in five parts:
- Cemetery records (monumental inscriptions for 15 cemeteries: the old Port Moresby Cemetery Register 1912-1969; and transcriptions of memorials from six churches and war memorials)
- Miscellaneous records (change of name; civil officials and prisoners of war deported to Australia 1914-1915; firearm permits 1891-1895; naturalizations 1947-1956)
- Probate notices (from five different government gazettes; includes Notice to Creditors and Orders to Administer Estates by Curator of Intestates Estates)
- Transcriptions of the birth, death and marriage notices from seven newspapers
- Complete alphabetical index to the four earlier parts. The index covers approximately 15,000 people, with multiple sources for many, and the full file represents over 600 pages of indexes and other information.
The material on this CD is a unique and extremely valuable resource for research on expatriate families in Papua New Guinea. It covers a total of 38 sources from across the country, with some information such as the monumental inscriptions no longer available as time and vandalism have taken their toll on the headstones. With very few Papua New Guinea records readily available, this CD is an essential tool for researchers with PNG interests.
Adding to Cart...